Business Management: Intermediate 1
Why Business Management?
Business and enterprise are at the heart of national growth and development and offer a wide range of career opportunities.
This course is extremely suitable for those of you considering a career in business but it may also be useful to you if you have a general interest in this very important area of work in today’s world.
Entry to the course
- At the discretion of the school/college, but you should be able to demonstrate basic numeracy and communication skills.
There are three compulsory units in this course.
You will learn about:
- the role of business enterprise in society, such as making money and meeting the demand for products and services
- the nature and importance of different types of businesses today, such as private / public limited companies, partnerships, public corporations and charities
- the sources of finance for business, such as shareholders, banks and government
- the role of the entrepreneur in business, such as identifying opportunities and taking risks
- the main participants (stakeholders) in business enterprises, such as shareholders, employees, management, suppliers and customers
- the importance of change in the business environment and factors that can cause change.
Business Decision Areas
You will learn about the following business functions:
- finance, including an awareness of financial statements
- human resources such as employment terms and conditions, management/employee relations, recruitment, and trade unions
- operations such as purchasing, stock control and production.
Business Information and ICT
You will learn to:
- describe the different types of information used in business, such as written, graphical and numerical and understand their importance
- describe users of information in business, for example managers, employees and owners
- explain the uses of ICT (personal computers, e-mail, video conferencing etc) and business software in business enterprises, such as communicating and record keeping
- apply suitable software such as databases and spreadsheets to business situations.
- Completion of this course does not lead to any Core Skills.